Moving a loved one into an Assisted Living (AL) or Memory Care (MC) community can feel overwhelming. There are so many aspects of this major life change to consider, and you want to ensure you’re making the right choices all along the way. We are here to help you navigate this potentially stressful time and make it as easy and straightforward as possible. Below are answers to some of the most commonly asked questions we receive from potential residents and their loved ones prior to scheduling a tour of our community in Gilbert, Arizona. If you have further questions or would like more information, please call us at directly at 480-887-0599 or email info@AmericanOrchardsAZ.com.
No, although the vast majority of our residents are 65 or older.
Absolutely! We have several different floor plans that work great for couples sharing space.
Yes, depending on approval. Each pet and circumstance is assessed to determine the appropriateness for the situation. (Keep in mind that pets living at American Orchards with their resident require an additional pet fee.)
Yes, if location permits. Keeping their own doctor who knows their medical history can help smooth the transition and make residents feel more comfortable with their relocation. If you’re moving to American Orchards from out of town or out of state, and need help locating a new doctor, we have a list of quality visiting physicians to use as a guide.
Yes they can! We invite residents to bring whatever furniture they need to feel comfortable in this transition, as long as it fits in their space and allows safe access for cleaning and navigation. We also have furniture available for rent if needed.
Residents may generally bring whatever will make them feel most comfortable. Most bring their own furniture (although we do have furniture available for rent if needed), family pictures, art and room decor, blankets, linens, towels, personal items, etc.
Any time, and often! We love helping families stay connected. That’s why we don’t have any set visiting hours—family members and guests can visit any time for as long as they and their resident would like.
- Hourly and daily activities
- Housekeeping and Laundry services (once per week and as needed)
- Salons (one in Assisted Living and one in Memory Care)
- General store (in Assisted Living) for small snacks and miscellaneous items
- Multi-purpose common rooms to facilitate activities, fitness, movies, games, etc.
- Covered outdoor seating areas and porches
- Walking paths
- Covered patios (on select Assisted Living suites)
- Sensory room (in Memory Care)
- View-in kitchens open 24/7
- Postal drop off
Yes we do! We can adapt to almost any dietary restriction, including diabetic, vegetarian, vegan, mechanical soft, puree, specific allergies, etc. All meals are prepared by our specially-trained culinary team and planned specifically to meet the diverse needs and preferences of our residents.
Cost varies depending on room size, location and care level. The monthly fee is calculated by adding the base rate (which includes room and board, three daily meals and snacks, activities, laundry/housekeeping, etc.) and care level together. We are happy to discuss your specific situation and needs, along with the associated costs, as we work together to determine the most appropriate care level and suite type.
Base rates include room and board, three daily meals and snacks, weekly housekeeping and laundry, activities, transportation, and an emergency call pendant.
No. Residential agreements with American Orchards are on a month-to-month basis.
We accept all major forms of payment including cash, check, or credit/debit cards.
Unfortunately not; Medicare or other health insurance does not cover long term care. However, some residents have a long term care policy specifically in place and we do work with those plans.
A nursing home:
- Provides 24/7 care for individuals with a high level of physical needs that require specific, skilled treatments (i.e. ventilators, tracheostomies, wound care, advanced terminal illnesses, serious infections, injury recovery, etc.).
- Cares for patients for a short period of time and then transfers them to a rehab or assisted living setting (although some do provide long-term housing and care options as well).
An Assisted Living (AL) Community:
- Provides long-term housing and care for residents who need varying degrees of assistance typically with the normal activities of daily living (bathing, dressing, grooming, medication management, incontinence, etc.) in a more residential or hospitality type of setting.
- Is not considered a medical facility. While most residents don’t require nursing care, those who do can still reside in AL and receive additional care and oversight from a licensed home health agency.
Another sometimes-confusing fact about Assisted Living communities is that their licensing covers a large variance of care levels, including memory care. In Arizona, for example, there are three categories that fall under Assisted Living: supervisory care, personal care, and directed care. Each has its specific requirements, with supervisory care being the lowest care level and directed care being the highest (and includes memory care). American Orchards is licensed for all three levels of care – supervisory through directed care. This allows us to care for residents with a myriad of different care needs, including memory loss.
We do not offer these services ourselves, but there are many qualified third-party groups that do travel to us and provide services onsite at American Orchards. These services are typically billed by the third party group, either through Medicare or other insurance plans.
Yes! American Orchards Senior Community is licensed for directed care, which means we provide the highest level of Assisted Living services to our residents (including memory care).
You may schedule a tour of American Orchards on our website or by calling 480-887-0599.
Tours are typically provided between 8am and 8pm, but we are happy to arrange a specific time upon request. Tours generally take between 30 minutes to one hour, depending on questions and level of detail. Our care team is always happy to answer questions and provide any extra information you need, from further details about costs, local amenities, care, and availability.